Probate: What You Need To Know

Probate is the legal process for dealing with a deceased person's estate. To be able to do this, the executors of the will or administrators (if no will exists) need an official court form for the probate registry. If a will exists, the court form is called a grant of probate while if no will exists it is called a grant of letters of administration.

If you are dealing with probate and intestacy issues, our team at Ronald Fletcher & Co. understands you need someone who can handle your situation as quickly and cost-effectively as possible in order to protect your interests.

You need someone with extensive experience who has handled probate and intestacy cases like yours. For more information on how we can help you with your London probate matters, contact our law firm today.

Why Choose Ronald Fletcher & Co?

  • We are experts – A London specialist niche firm that focuses on probate and intestacy. When you choose us to handle your case, you will always deal directly with our senior solicitor Derek Rosenblatt, who has specialised in probate and intestacy since 1979. We will not delegate your case to inexperienced staff and solicitors. You can be sure your case is in safe hands.
  • We care – We are passionate about achieving the best result in your case. Whether you are an executor, administrator, representative or trustee, we will help you with your responsibilities and seek to resolve your issues as efficiently and smoothly as possible.We help you avoid disputes – If a disappointed family member or other appropriate person chooses to challenge a will or the actions of the executor, we can use our experience to bring those claims or defend claims against the estate.

Answering The Questions That Matter

• What Is Intestacy?

Intestacy is dying without leaving a will. We have the experience and skills necessary to work through procedures and properly administer your deceased family member's estate and follow the rules of intestacy.

We can even help you if you are outside of the country. We assist people from around the world, including USA, Canada, Europe, Israel, the West Indies and Africa in submitting applications to have assets and funds released.

• What Is Inheritance Tax?

Inheritance Tax is usually paid on an estate when somebody dies. It's also sometimes payable on trusts or gifts made during someone's lifetime. Most estates don't have to pay inheritance tax because they're valued at less than the threshold.

• What Is The Increased Threshold for Married Couples and Civil Partners?

Since October 2007, married couples and registered civil partners can effectively increase the threshold on their estate when the second partner dies to as much as £650,000 on 2014-15. Their executors or personal representatives must transfer the first spouse or civil partner's unused inheritance tax threshold or "nil-rate band" to the second spouse or civil partner when he or she dies.

• Who Is Responsible for Paying Inheritance Tax?

Inheritance tax is payable by different people in different circumstances. Typically, the executor or personal representative pays it using funds from the deceased's estate. The trustees are usually responsible for paying inheritance tax on assets in, or transferred into, a trust. Sometimes people who have received gifts, or who inherit from the deceased, have to pay inheritance tax, but this is not common.

Contact Us

The essence of our client service is efficiency, speed and a keen sense of how to succeed. To learn how we can help you with your probate needs in London, contact our law firm online or call 0207 624 0041for free initial telephone advice with a London probate solicitor. We aim to answer your query within an hour of receiving it.