What are the statutory sums for bereavement for Fatal Accidents Compensation claims? Act Quickly: Consult our Expert Fatal Injury Solicitors Today

If you have tragically lost a loved one as a result of a non-accidental death you have the legal right to claim compensation for your loss. The fatal accident specialists at Ronald Fletcher & Co Solicitors have years of experience dealing with the devastation fatal accidents cause to family members.

Because of our experience, we understand the emotional trauma you are going through and we are adept at handling these emotionally difficult cases with utmost sympathy and care. Our clients' emotional and financial needs are paramount to us.

Fatal accident claims are generally made up of two strands:

Statutory sums for bereavement:

Under The Fatal Accidents Act 1976 someone who has lost a close relative may have a legal right to claim compensation for his or her bereavement. The current statutory sum recoverable is fixed at £11,800.

The category of relatives entitled to make a bereavement compensation claim is limited under the Act. Those entitled are:

· husbands, wives and civil partners;

· the parents of a child aged under 18 who died; and

· the mother of an unmarried, illegitimate child who was under 18.

The law is clear that the parents of an adult child, children of a deceased parent, or the parents of a stillborn child are not entitled to claim this statutory award. If the claim is made on behalf of both parents of a child, the statutory sum is divided equally between them.

Dependency claims

Close relatives and dependants are also legally entitled to claim compensation for pain and suffering up to the date of death; and compensation for financial losses you have incurred. You can also claim for loss of financial support you would have been received if your relative had not died.

Benefits on bereavement

In addition to fatal accident compensation, if you were financially dependant on the deceased you may be entitled to benefits and a one-off payment from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

These include:

· a bereavement payment for spouses or civil partners which must generally be claimed within a year of your loved one's death;

· a bereavement allowance paid for 52 weeks from the date of death of the spouse or civil partner (if not entitled to widowed parent's allowance);

· a weekly widowed parent's allowance for surviving parents who have dependent children.

We can advise you on these potential entitlements but you need to contact your local benefits office for detailed information and advice.

The fatal accident and personal injury experts at Ronald Fletcher & Co are ready to advise you on your full legal rights under the Fatal Accidents Act and what compensation you rightly deserve. For more information about our fatal accident practice see http://www.rfclaw.co.uk/Practice-Areas/Fatal-Accidents-Claims.shtml

Ronald Fletcher & Co operates on a 'no win, no fee' basis meaning you keep all the compensation we secure for you. Call our expert personal injury solicitors now on 0207 624 0041 or send us an email [http://www.rfclaw.co.uk/Contact.shtml]